By: Katie Kershman
Here we are about a month into the semester. Unfortunately this means the first round of exams should be underway. To help make it through lookin good I’ve researched some helpful hints for succeeding when it counts.
In preparation for any exam here’s what the experts are suggesting.
- Go to review sessions – I know this seems obvious and/or boring, but it will let you know what the teacher thinks is important which means you may be able to skip things you might have wasted your time studying!
- Take breaks – During your study time, take at least a five minute break for every hour of study time. There is only so much information you can process in one setting and it gives you time to blow off some steam.
- Set a backup alarm – This may seem like overkill, but tons of students have failed exams (especially early morning exams) simply because they didn’t wake up on time.
- Use the restroom and come to class early – On exam days seating can become an issue! Use the restroom so you can sit comfortably and come early so you are sure to get a seat.
Okay, now that you’ve made it to the exam, here are some tips to keep in mind during the actual exam.
- Look through the test – when you first get the test, it’s a good idea to flip through it to see what you’re up against. This will help you budget your time.
- Read directions – teachers want us to succeed. Many times they will give hints about the way to approach questions so we can give them what they want.
- Skip questions – I’m sure you’re thinking this is a bad idea but stick with me here. If you’re stuck on a tricky question, don’t waste your time. Get through the test so you can answer all the questions you know, and then come back if you still have time. It’s the best way to get the most points.
- Eliminate options – if you’re faced with a difficult multiple choice question, mark out the ones you know are wrong.
These are just some of the tips that jumped out at me. What are some tips you guys have learned to make it through exams?